Our tea elves have come up with the perfect pancake recipe! Great for breakfast, brunch or a guilt free treat, these healthy hot cakes are vegan friendly and gluten free. The naturally green colour is due to the energy boosting matcha green tea powder we added (read more about the awesome health benefits of matcha here).
Matcha has a floral and slightly bitter taste, which pairs perfectly with the sweetness of maple syrup and banana, but you could use any of your favourite pancake toppings. For a double hit of matcha goodness, try adding some matcha honey to these bad boys.
- 1 cup flour (we used brown rice flour to keep the pancakes gluten free, but you could substitute for any flour)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 cup soy milk (you could use regular milk instead)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (and extra for the pan)
- Toppings of your choice (banana, maple syrup, blueberries, etc.)
Combine the dry ingredients and whisk or mix well.
Gradually add the soy milk and melted coconut oil to the dry mixture. Mix until smooth and no lumps (use a blender or whisk for best results). You may need to add a little extra soy milk if the mixture is too thick.
Heat a pan to medium and add a little coconut oil.
Once the oil is hot, spoon or pour in the batter. Once you see bubbles forming, carefully flip the pancake to other side.
Repeat until the batter is gone.
Try not to eat all the pancakes while you’re cooking…
Makes: 6 – 8 pancakes.